So you’ve finally lost all the weight. Congratulations! It takes hard work and dedication to make such a major life change. But while slimming down and toning up can be an exciting experience, it often comes with an unwanted side effect: loose skin.
Those who have lost a significant amount of weight often struggle with over-stretched skin that can uncomfortably hang and chafe. Diet and exercise aren’t usually enough to help the loose skin and tissues retract back to their previous spots. Post-weight loss surgery is usually the best option for achieving a fit and toned final look. At our plastic surgery practice here in Orlando, we use body lift procedures to help men and women complete their weight loss transformation.
What Is a Body Lift?
A body lift is a combination of plastic surgery procedures that sculpt and adjust excess tissue after weight loss. The treatments commonly address areas that collect excess skin, such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, arms, and more. The results produce a slim, trimmed figure that allows you to enjoy your new body to the fullest. Dr. Soto may recommend grouping certain popular procedures when helping you develop your body lift plan.
A tummy tuck is a contouring procedure that fixes skin laxity on the lower abdomen. During surgery, excess skin is removed and damaged abdominal muscles are tightened, creating a flat, firm belly in the process.
Also known as brachioplasty, arm lift surgery removes saggy skin from the upper arms. It is mainly used to fix loose, hanging skin that creates a “bat wing” appearance. This surgery creates a much more toned and slender shape for the arms.
A thigh lift, much like an arm lift, tightens loose skin that has collected around the thighs. Excess skin and fat is removed from the upper leg to help make the thigh look firmer and more defined.
Liposuction is a versatile procedure that suctions fat from various areas of the body. While it is not a weight loss procedure, it helps sculpt any final areas that have stubborn fat pockets resistant to diet and exercise.
When Is a Body Lift Necessary?
A body lift is best used when you have finished losing weight and your body shape has become more stable. A body lift might be right for you if:
- You have lost a large amount of weight
- You struggle with loose skin and excess fat in one or more areas
- You want to improve the overall silhouette of your body
- Diet and exercise results have plateaued and you cannot achieve the final results you want
During your initial consultation, Dr. Soto will analyze your body to see which procedures would be right for you. Together, you can form a customized treatment plan and determine if you are ready for surgery.
How Do I Know If I’m Ready for a Body Lift?
A body lift is an excellent way to make the “final touches” to your body after your weight loss journey. However, before your book your first appointment, here are a few things to consider when deciding if you are ready:
- Be at a stable weight: Patients should be near or at their goal weight for at least 6 months or more before committing to body lift surgery. To maintain your weight, be sure to eat a healthy diet and follow a consistent exercise routine.
- Watch out for chronic health conditions: Dramatic weight changes can impact the body in several ways. Keep an eye out for any lingering health issues (such as heart disease or diabetes) that may affect your recovery.
- Kick bad habits: Habits such as smoking or excessive drinking can make it hard to recover from surgery. Try to quit smoking at least 6 weeks before your procedures, and do not resume the habit until at least 2 months after treatment.
- Take your time while healing: Recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, so don’t try to rush back to your day-to-day life as soon as possible. Be understanding with yourself as your body slowly heals, and know your full results won’t be apparent until swelling subsides in a few weeks.
If you’re considering a post-weight loss surgery like a body lift, remember to take care of your body and enjoy the process. The final results are truly transformative and can help you celebrate the end of your weight loss journey. If you would like to learn more about plastic surgery procedures offered here in Orlando, FL, please request a consultation online.
Leave a Reply